long conference table

Request to Conduct Research

Research Request

Thank you for your interest in the Center for Wounded Veterans in Higher Education (CWVHE) within the College of Applied Health Sciences. As a national resource and Center that coordinates accommodations and services for student veterans with disabilities, we receive a high number of requests related to research.

In order for us to consider your request, please read the following guidelines carefully prior to submitting the form below. After receiving the form, our staff will speak further and then contact you within two weeks of receiving your request. Please be advised that research requests involving potential risk of harm to participants must have prior approval from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Institutional Review Board (IRB) http://oprs.research.illinois.edu/. Research studies conducted at other institutions may also be required to seek IRB approval from the UIUC if they are seeking to recruit University of Illinois students as participants.

The Center has limited space available for research, therefore, it is imperative that you read carefully.  

  1. All projects conducted at the Center must have IRB approval prior to starting any phase of research. A copy of IRB approval shall be provided to the Director.
  1. Unless permission is provided by the Director, all research must be directly related to military-connected populations in some capacity.
  1. All projects require a supervisory point of contact who must hold, at minimum, the rank of Assistant Professor. This designated contact will assume all responsibility and supervision of any undergraduate or graduate students affiliated with the study.
  1. All faculty and students are required to complete an Orientation of the Center.
  1. A schedule of research activities and requested space will be submitted to the Center at least 1-week in advance and placed on the Research Calendar. Because the Center is a direct service provider, available research space may fluctuate with student needs’ taking precedence.
  1. The Center does not provide materials support in the form of computers or printing. Researchers are encouraged to bring their own laptops and materials. The Center has WiFi available.
  1. Parking is metered and is the responsibility of the research team and subjects.     
  1. Unless permission is provided by the Director, all research must be conducted during normal business hours. For activities taking place outside this timeframe, the supervisory point of contact must be onsite for the full duration of the research. At the present time, research can only be conducted Monday – Thursday between 8:30a – 8:00p; and Friday 8:30a – 4:00p. 
  1. No materials are allowed to be stored at the Center.
  1.  Presently, the Center does not provide any financial support for research.

You can find the research request form here.

How can the Center support my research?

  • The Center is tied into various military-connected organizations and groups. We are available to assist in providing initial feedback concerning proposed research along with talking through the methodology and literature, providing feedback on materials such as recruitment flyers, and disseminating information to students and partners at the community, state, and federal level. The Center may also be able to connect researchers to campus partners and faculty engaged in similar projects as well as to colleagues at other institutions.

The IRB has concerns about my study involving veterans. What should I do?

  • The Center is continuing to educate the campus and community about assumptions and misconceptions concerning military-connected populations. In recent years, national attention has focused closely on readjustment issues and trauma among military populations, with particular emphasis on mental health and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). While the significance of these concerns should not be minimized in any way, veterans should not be stereotyped or assumed to be traumatized, dangerous, contending with PTSD, etc. simply by virtue of their veteran status.
  • To provide added safeguards for IRB proposals and actual research, the Center may be able to provide a licensed Clinical Psychologist to offer assistance. To request this, please notify the Director and all inquiries will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

I’d like to establish a lab within the Center, is this possible?

  • At this time, we are unable to establish research labs within the Center. However, limited space may be available to conduct certain types of research, such as interviews, focus groups, and surveys. For more information, please email the Director a brief overview of your project along with requested assistance.

Can the Center assist with identifying potential funding sources?

  • Yes, but on a limited basis. The Center supports a wide range of interdisciplinary research. Based on this, we often come across various funding sources available for projects and initiatives involving military populations. In the near future, this information will be posted on our webpage, so please refer back often.
  • For organizations that have funding available, please send announcements to the Director and these will be shared with affiliated faculty.

I have a grant or project that provides opportunities for student veterans. How can I make contact with them?

  • The Center maintains a listserv that allows information to be disseminated to all identified military-connected students. If you’d like your information shared on this listserv, email it to the Director. The information should include a short and concise overview of the opportunity, specific details and requirements (i.e. certain majors, GPA, undergraduate / graduate), and a point of contact.